Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mystery of the Giant Deuce

Something is most foul in the Ndola Friary…
After a long day of meetings on the Copperbelt, we returned to our cloister at the friary. Having worked all day, three weary travelers need a little… um… relief. Usually, of course, this poses no (serious) problems, until today. Enter the mystery of the giant deuce. Imagine a Chipotle burrito. Now imagine finding something of that length and girth that in the bathroom of your (“private”) room, when nobody you know left it there this morning. It floated and would not go down. As an uninvited guest, it arrived unannounced and would not leave. Enter a heroic traveler with a stick from the courtyard and a rubber glove, who ushered the deuce to its final resting place, sent to the hell from whence it came without last rites. Photographic evidence of this sordid event does exist, but is not for the faint of heart. We are in a friary. We are deeply disturbed.
We spent today in Kitwe at the Ministry of Education office where we had a good meeting, did a little shopping, before meeting a self advocate and returning to Ndola where the deuce made its appearance. It’s been an entirely different experience on the Copperbelt, partially since we’ve been at (lengthy!!) religious ceremonies most of the time and partially because our guide is not Zambian, despite what she may proclaim. Nama, set up today’s meeting at the spur of the moment, even though she wasn’t even here, otherwise we would have been cloistered all day.
If we are not converted before leaving here, it won’t be for lack of trying; Matt’s faith-based discussions (despite him trying his best to avoid them) have surely traveled through the community, and no doubt he is being feverishly prayed for. Kristin’s barren womb is a constant source of conversation, speculation, perhaps badgering? Derek is getting by on “I’m a Methodist.” It is actually kind of funny, and we are rolling with it (in news of redemption, before leaving Lusaka, Kristin did give her mealtime prayer).
We are off to join our gracious guests for a blessed meal; the friars have treated us and fed us well.
--MDK

3 comments:

  1. OK, it sounds suspiciously like trying to find the glass marble Jack swallowed, that went on for a solid week.Good thing you had gloves - brought for other "behind" purposes but put to good use. Sorry you are having to endure the Sandy stuff. I sometimes think she wants to be the first Catholic female priest.I also think Fr. Patrick and Fr. Matthew are her version of life partners - she always seems half Mom half lover around them to me. Nama was excited about your visit to the Ministry - she sent me an e-mail saying you were meeting with "the man." Did you? I remembered the name of the woman with a disability I met in Ndola - Helen. She is the one that had the micro enterprise that I was so impressed with. My goal is to get Nama and Mikalea here at U of MN to spend at least 1 month in the autism clinic/LEND program and teach them assessment and intervention skills. We'll see. If NIDRR ever has that pot of money again we could get them over here. I like Derek's strategy. I proclaimed Protestant First Christian Church and bowed my head during prayers. It seemed to work. What you don;t know Matt is the whole nation is now probably praying for you! Go figure how you worked that one out! Hope you are shopping for good rocks and Zambian yarn for me.... I know, your favorite thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Matt: Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you already have a story about having to unclog some large do-do? I feel like this has come up before.
    To Derek: If he hasn't 'fessed up already, you should tell the Srs. about Matt's Aunt Nun which should take the heat off of you while they work more furiously to save his lapsed soul.
    To Kristin: Between the gauze and the "Chipotle Burrito" this trip sounds replete with experiences not fit for a lady. I'm so sorry.
    To all: On Mondays and Fridays Cliff and I read your blog over our morning beverages. I think I'll recommend he read this one not at the same time as he enjoys his breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment, Amy. We are now back in Lusaka having parted ways with her. Bringing Nama and Mikela is a great idea if possible. The trainings are going great, including the Ministry of Ed. in Kitwe where we had three hours with the head guy *who actually picked us up and gave us a ride to Kitwe from Ndola} and other well placed individuals. They seemed on board with ideas and the director actually used to work in special ed, so it might be good to connect with him again. With Sandy on her way back to the states and Nama as our guide from here on, things should go smoothly.

    As for the status of my soul, I'm sticking to my story. I feel like people here, and especially in the religious community, need reminders from time to time that people who do not follow a particular faith can still exist and do good things. Plus, between my TV appearance, travels around the country, and the whole country praying, I figure I'm a minor celeb at this point. I'm expecting a music video about me to appear on ZNBC any night now.

    ReplyDelete